The Tyneside Tramways and Tramroads Company ran from North Shields to Newcastle and from Wallsend to Gosforth. The system opened in 1901 and closed in 1930. A few of the trams were sold to South Shields but most were dismantled and burned on the 'reserved' (off-street) track at South Gosforth. The company continued as a bus operator but, rather curiously, retained its old and cumbersome title until 1965, although, in practice, everyone just called them the "green buses". Some track was still visible in the late 1960s where the line crossed the new Coast Road just east of the railway bridge.